Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Good Man

So much has happened since I last updated my blog- a new food, a new word, a new tooth, and sadly, a great loss. On May 16, 2010, my grandpa passed away. Since then, sleep has eluded me and my days have been filled with tears. Abigail has been a savior though, she makes me smile. I guess each day gets easier. And yes, I KNOW, he is in a better place and he is no longer in pain. I just don't need EVERY person I talk to to keep telling me that.

Abigail met her great-grandpa Art just a few weeks ago. I took her over to meet him and grandma when they returned from Port A. I am still kicking myself for not taking a picture.

Here is the picture I have in my head of that day.

Abigail and I arrive around 6 and Grandma is over at the neighbor's having coffee. It is just Grandpa, Abigail, and I. Grandpa walks down the hallway and greets us with a big hug. He sits down in his chair and I sit next to him with Abigail on my lap. She STARES at him intently for a moment and cracks a HUGE toothless smile. HE LOVES IT. Then, she reaches up and grabs his finger and holds on.

I can still see the grin on his face-- He. Was. Tickled.

We talked about all sorts of things. He held her before Grandma came home. He was a little worried about holding her because he doesn't feel his hands so well. He was so alive and so happy.

I will remember him that way. I will tell Abigail about all the wonderful things he did and how much a part of my life he was-- at all my sports games, birthdays... ANY important event of my life. I will show her the pictures. I will share his story. But, more than anything-- I WILL MISS HIM. Rest in Peace Grandpa. I love you.

1 comment: